Search This Blog

Friday, November 16, 2018

Briefly, a smooth beach

I confess for me a beach with ruts isn't a proper beach - probably no-one dreams of a beach scarred by the deep tire-tracks left by numerous vehicles. Today the high tide was driven unusually high by the north-east winds associated with the the recent snowfall, and when it withdrew it left behind an unusually smooth and beautiful beach. Unfortunately today I only got down there after a few trucks had already "raped" the virgin beach - in a few seconds there were deep ruts which will remain for weeks or even months until the next nor-easter. I'm unable to understand the attraction of leaving one's ugly mark over miles of virgin sand, but it seems to be widespread in the Town of Riverhead. The longer I live here (28 years now) the less at home I feel.
Anyway, luckily these trucks didn't go all the way down the beach (nor did their drivers emerge to enjoy the bracing conditions), and after battling strong cold winds I got to a long pristine stretch:









On the way back there was lots of new trash to pick up.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Least Unpopular Posts